[Guide] How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 8


Today I have got time to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on VMware Workstation 8. ANd it was
success, I have seen so many forums that users was not able to run Ubuntu 10.04 in VMware
Workstation but I was able to do so..

What is new in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ubuntu 10.04 comes with thousand of free softwares & it does everything user needs to do in
daily computer use. It even work with your Cameras,Printer & MP3 palyers.

1. The Head-Up Display (HUD)
The new HUD gives you a fast alternative to the traditional, menu-based way of telling your
computer what to do. Instead of clicking on menu items to give it instructions, you just tap the
alt key to bring up the HUD and start typing what you want to do. You’ll then get a list of
functions, without ever needing to know in which menu they live.

2. The Video Lens
The new Video Lens makes it easier than ever to find the videos you want to watch. Just click
on the icon on the Dash and enter your text to search. Whether it’s stored on your computer, on
YouTube or anywhere else, you’ll soon see a list of matching content.

3. Ubuntu Software Centre
The Ubuntu Software Centre gives you instant access to thousands of apps. You can see the
top-rated apps, compare apps by rating and user reviews, keep track of what you've installed,
and sync your apps between all your Ubuntu computers.

So lets get started, New VM creation under VMware workstation 8 is straight forward so I am not adding all screen shots. If you want you can refer my other posts for the same.

It is necessary to install VMware tools on Virtual machine. I have covered in steps in my How to install VMware Tools on Ubutntu 12.04 LTS in VMware Workstation 8 article.

First create Custom Virtual machine and select guest VM operating system as Linux and version as Ubuntu as shown below



This is my Ubuntu 10.04 Virtual machine summary. I am using 2GB of memory with single processor. If you want you can use more memory & CPU as per requirement.  Also I am using 20GB of Hard Disk.


In next step I have mounted my Ubuntu ISO file & stared my Virtual machine. Here is the booting screen of Ubuntu,